So I finally watched it, late night after I cried my eyes out (see last entry). I didn't want to go to bed with sad thoughts so I put HS musical in.
I guess my take is this...as a whole, the movie was just OK. It encompasses the whole idea of school that I like to avoid really. The separation of jocks, nerds, skaters etc. and then the main thread of a blossoming romance. To it's credit, the end sort of ties all the separate classes together, but my thought is, why even spark the idea that there is a separation in the first place to my little ones...really, they just wouldn't get it anyways. There is nothing really "bad" in it that would make me adamantly opposed, however, I still am not all that thrilled with the hype about it. I would much rather the kids watch "The Sound Of Music" or something more classical like that if it comes down to "just song and dance".
Maybe it's more of the idea that just because the media makes something so popularized, it doesn't mean that we have to join in too...more of a principle thing. Just because everybody else is doing it....know what I mean?
This in no way should be interpreted that I am better or think any less of my friends who enjoy this movie with their kids, this is just merely an expression of my opinion without judgement here.
Anyways, I don't get it really, why it is so popular, there are much better musicals out there that are much more entertaining, but hey, I did like New Kids on The Block when I was a pre-teen too...who knows.
As of right now, Leah doesn't even have an interest in seeing it, I am going to leave it at that. The 3rd HS musical comes out soon I heard, and I know several of her friends are probably going. I will likely just politely decline that outing for her. Just as "New Kids" faded out of the decade, I am sure this will too, and in another 20 years when it tries to come back to popularity, if she really feels like she missed out on something, she can catch up then :)
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment